Acu-Na Date Recipes for Wellness
Baked Date Bars
- 2-1/2 cups pitted dates, cut up
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, optional
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a saucepan, combine dates, sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until very thick. Stir in walnuts, if desired; cool.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl; add oats and brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle water over mixture; stir lightly. Pat half into a greased 13×9-in. baking pan. Spread with date mixture; cover with remaining oat mixture and pat lightly.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Acu-Na Traditional Chinese Medicine Date Recipes
Weak Stomach, palpitations, nervousness, hysteria in women, allergic purpura.
Description: warm, sweet, used as a spleen tonic, energy tonic, and blood tonic; produces fluids; detoxicates; affects the spleen and stomach.
Applications: Boil 30g red dates with 1 whole chicken egg, 4 fresh ginger slices, and 30 g brown sugar in water. Eat meals to relieve weakness after childbirth.
- Prolonged consumption of 30 g red dates in the evening every day improves physical conditions, such as skinniness and weakness.
- Boil 30 g red dates with 5 green onion white heads. Eat it at bedtime to relieve insomnia.
- Eat 30 to 60 g red dates each time, 3 times a day for 15 consecutive days, to cure allergic purpura.
- Boil 30 g red dates and 30 g yam with 2 fresh ginger slices until soft. Eat it once a day for 10 consecutive days to treat cold stomachache, abdominal pain, and diarrhea due to digestive weakness.
- Boil 30 g dried red dates with 15 g yam, 15 g whole wheat, and 15 g processed licorice. Drink the juice in the morning and evening to treat hysteria in women and jumpiness in women during menopause.
- Boil 15 g black dates with 9 g longans and 30 g brown sugar. Eat the stewed fruit at meals on a long-term basis to treat anemia.
- To prepare date jelly, boil 1,500 g fresh dates, seeded, or 500 g red dates, seeded until they look like jelly; add 500 g sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Take a teaspoonful of date jelly with warm water on a longer-term basis to relieve hepatitis, pulmonary tuberculosis, and weakness after illness
Remarks: Fresh dates may be left in the sun to dry until red to make dried red dates.
- Fresh red dates may be boiled and left in the sun to dry, then steamed and baked a few times until the surface becomes quite black; these are called black dates.
Reasons to eat dates:
Vision: when ingested orally, it reduces night blindness
Digestion: healthy bowel movements and control diarrhea
Energy: boost energy for anemic patients
Nervous System: boost the nervous system health
Bone Health: minerals present strengthen the bones
Heart: reduce risk of stroke and other related diseases