As we all know, stress can affect our sleep, blood pressure, immune function and premature aging. At Acu-Na Wellness Center we want to help you “make wellness a way of life.” Yoga Nidra is a fantastic tool to add to your wellness “tool belt!”
Yoga Nidra is also known as “yogic sleep”. This simple form of meditation has the ability to take you to the innermost, deepest levels of relaxation where your entire being is permeated by peace of mind and profound stillness. The powerful ancient technique of focusing on the Third Eye activates the brain’s pineal gland to secrete melatonin and releases healing endorphins that are known to relieve stress.
The practice of Yoga Nidra is known to:
- Induce restful sleep
- Reduce blood pressure
- Increase immune function
- Prevent premature aging.
Yoga Nidra unlocks the mystical, integrative powers of the subconscious and higher centers of consciousness that effortlessly erases the most tenacious self-destructive habits and behavior patterns held in the physical, mental, and emotional bodies.
10 Steps to Create a Transformative Yoga Nidra Experience:
- Connect to your deepest desire. Your heart’s desire is something that you want more than anything else in life. Bring this desire to mind and imagine/experience it in this moment as if it were already true in your life.
- Set your Intention. Create a mindful intention for your practice today. It may be to relax, to let go of a certain fear or worry, or to create a feeling of compassion and peacefulness. Whatever your intention, welcome it and affirm it with your entire being.
- Find your inner resource. Your Inner Resource is a safe haven within yourself where you can connect with the feelings of security, wellbeing, and serenity. You may imagine a place, person, or experience that makes you feel at ease. Your inner resource is helpful to come back to at any time if you feel overwhelmed by an emotion, thought, or life circumstance. This practice can bring you back to feeling secure.
- Scan your body from Head to Toe. Gradually bring your awareness to different parts of your body, beginning at the head. Become aware of your forehead, eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Sense your neck, throat, shoulders. Scan your left arm and hand, your right arm and hand, and then both arms and hands simultaneously. Bring awareness to your torso, pelvis, and sacrum. Sense your left hip, leg, and foot, then your right, hip, leg, and foot. Experience your entire body as a field of vibrant sensation.
- Bring awareness to your breath. Experience your body breathing effortlessly. Observe the natural flow of clean air in the nose, throat, and lungs. Be aware of the rise and fall of the abdomen with each breath. Sense that each breath brings new energy and radiance throughout your entire body.
- Welcome all of your feelings. Allow any sensations and emotions to be as they are, without judging yourself or trying to change anything. Allow sadness, anger, or worry to exist, knowing that their opposites also exist. If you feel tense, call up feelings of peacefulness. If you feel worry, also allow yourself to experience serenity.
- Be an observer of your thoughts. Witness and welcome the thoughts, memories, and images that appear in your mind. Notice the thoughts without judging them or trying to change them. Welcome your experience as it is.
- Experience joy. Allow sensations of joy, wellbeing, or bliss to emanate from your heart. Imagine the joy in your heart spreading through your body and into the space around you.
- Witness your Self. Be aware of your sense of self, or personality. Notice this sense of identity when you say, “I’m hungry”, “I’m upset”, or “I’m happy”. Then, experience yourself observing this “I”, and becoming the greater Awareness that is larger than the self.
- Reflect on your practice today. As you complete your Yoga Nidra practice, reflect on the journey you’ve just taken. Affirm the feelings of pure awareness, and know that your Being consists of Awareness that is always present as a deap, unchanging peace that underlies every circumstance in your life. Imagine integrating that feeling of deep peace into your everyday life. Imagine reconnecting to that sense of calm in both pleasant and unpleasant moments in life.
Check our event calendar for this and other wellness activities.